Careers at First Up
Work with Us!
If interested in applying, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Department: Development and Communications
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications
The Donor Relations staff is responsible for supporting the fundraising and communications activities of the department. In this role, the Donor Relations staff will be a key part of the team in organizing and managing special events like the Annual Golf Outing, Terri Lynne Lokoff Teacher Awards and other events. In addition, this staff position will collaborate on the individual, corporate, foundation and government fundraising campaigns per the annual department plan. First Up is committed to career growth and training! We seek a collaborative, open-minded team member who is committed to contributing to a diverse, respectful, and inclusive working environment. Candidates from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in the non-profit sector are especially encouraged to apply.
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate all fundraising activities, including fundraising events, social media, direct communications across multiple channels like email, snail mail, etc.
- Attend fundraising events to ensure they proceed as planned
- Identify and reach out to potential donors to encourage them to make contributions
- Cultivate relationships with past donors, ensuring that they are engaged in the organization’s mission and encouraged to make additional contributions
- Meet with key stakeholders, which might range from volunteers to board members, to keep them advised of the development activities
Note that the Development and Communications department functions as a team on all activities, capitalizing on the different perspectives and talents of all the members of the team. Some projects may be entirely led / coordinated by the Donor Relations staff, while other times the Donor Relations staff will work in a support role to their teammates.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree preferred but not required. We value diverse forms of expertise and lived experience.
- Life experience that shows the ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Life experience that demonstrates the ability to confront a challenge and find a solution
- Life experience that demonstrates the ability to successfully communicate with a wide variety of people
- Quality -Applies feedback to improve performance; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; displays commitment to excellence; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Communication- Ability to effectively express thoughts and ideas in written and oral form; actively listens and requests clarification when needed; responds well to questions; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a positive team spirit; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; puts success of team above own interests.
- Continuous Learning- Assesses own strengths and areas of development; pursues training and development opportunities; seeks feedback to improve performance; shares expertise with others; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; demonstrates ongoing learning and competency in trauma informed practices.
- Initiative-Asks for help when needed; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; undertakes self-development activities; volunteers readily.
- Cultural Competency -Shows knowledge, respect, and sensitivity for cultural differences; demonstrates awareness of personal social location; exhibits continuous learning practices in DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging); promotes a harassment-free environment and culture of belonging.
- Problem solving/adaptability - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations; accepts constructive feedback; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demand; develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Project Management- Communicates changes and progress on projects; completes projects on time and budget; develops project plans and coordinates project; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provide team members with regular performance feedback.
- Decision Making- Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision making process; makes timely decisions; supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
$48,250 - $58,000 plus a highly competitive benefit package.
First Up offers a hybrid work arrangement with in-person and remote work options available. Primarily, staff members work remotely but should be available for in-person meetings as projects and/leadership require.
First Up is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, age, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or public assistance status in the recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall and termination of employees. First Up is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Those who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other members of underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.